You can check your debt - its level and title or creditor



automatic translation from Polish

The easiest way to get information about your own debt is to contact the creditor directly, who should provide us with all information. However, the situation is problematic when, for example, there are many debts and we do not know exactly how much, how big and with whom. In this situation, we have several possible solutions.

Economic information offices

First of all, it is worth checking whether we are not listed in any of the economic information offices. Currently in Poland operate:

  1. InfoMonitor.
  2. National Debt Register,
  3. ERIF Register of Debtors,
  4. National Bureau of Economic Information.

Downloading information about yourself once every 6 months is free. You can also get the report more often. The cost varies depending on the office.

To get the information you need, you can contact the selected office via mail, but faster and more convenient is to use the office's website, where after creating the account we will receive an online report.

Credit Information Bureau

If we want to check the debt associated with a loan, card or bank loan, we can also use the Credit Information Bureau. Similarly to business information offices, we can log in through the website and obtain information about ourselves.

Debt in court

If the creditor goes to court, the debtor will be informed - he will receive a copy of the lawsuit or payment order and will have the right to inspect the case file.

If the first letter in the case was sent by post but no one has received it, the letter will, as a rule, be delivered via a bailiff. Consequently, situations in which proceedings are conducted without the defendant's knowledge should be rare.

There are situations in which we know that proceedings are pending against us but we do not know in what court and what is its reference number. We can try to call the Customer Service Office, where the employee will inform us if a case is pending against us in a given court.

As to the justification, the court having jurisdiction is the court of the defendant's place of residence (provisions on territorial jurisdiction are governed by Article 27 - Article 46 of the Code of Civil Procedure).


As in the case of a court case, the bailiff will inform us about the initiation of enforcement proceedings by sending a letter with the case reference number (it will be a bailiff's signature, other than the court number).

If we lose the signature, all we have to do is call, send a letter or go to the appropriate bailiff, who should provide us with all information (although he may require an ID document in advance). In practice, if a bailiff takes action on us - takes an account or a salary - our bank and employer will have the bailiff's data, which will allow us to access the case and possibly take action.